Sunday, August 5, 2012

Volunteer your way into a job

The article below highlights points that work in volunteering your way into a job.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kerryhannon/2012/06/30/six-reasons-you-should-volunteer-your-way-to-a-job/


I am often asked how I got into Emergency Management (and I think its the most often answer given by others).  I volunteered !

I began volunteering with the American Red Cross to give back to my community, the more I volunteered, the more I became very interested in the Emergency Management field.  After about a year and a half, A job came open and I was encouraged to interview for it; and as they say "everything else is history' But how!

Was I already trained in emergency management ? Nope? What did I do?
  1. I asked what did they need! And then did it!
  2. I showed up when I said I would/on time (like a job)!
  3. I asked to take on leadership and help!
  4. When I saw a need I spoke up and offered help!
  5. And once I got the position I dove in and made sure they knew they made a good choice.

I love my field of Emergency Management and enjoy talking to folks making the change and trying to figure out how to get in.




disaster dave

No comments: