I am often asked how I got into Emergency Management (and I think its the most often answer given by others). I volunteered !
I began volunteering with the American Red Cross to give back to my community, the more I volunteered, the more I became very interested in the Emergency Management field. After about a year and a half, A job came open and I was encouraged to interview for it; and as they say "everything else is history' But how!
Was I already trained in emergency management ? Nope? What did I do?
- I asked what did they need! And then did it!
- I showed up when I said I would/on time (like a job)!
- I asked to take on leadership and help!
- When I saw a need I spoke up and offered help!
- And once I got the position I dove in and made sure they knew they made a good choice.
I love my field of Emergency Management and enjoy talking to folks making the change and trying to figure out how to get in.