In time of disaster the volunteers will come, but as we move forward in planning it seems to me that we need to engage the none profit community. And then I saw this - SRC United Way Has New Role in Emergency Response.
And I thought yes that is the plan. So what are the benefits?
- In a disaster the government will be busy and with falling budgets may have to divert human capital to run volunteer centers
- As a non profit, they could do volunteer management for many organizations
- As a central point for the community move volunteer to where they are most needed
- A central point to collect ALL volunteer hours helps the municipality meet its share of the Disaster recovery cost
- Other non profits may be more comfortable working with other non profits
- And finally As the United Way is community focused they make a great partner for preparedness before the disaster
So who is running volunteer management in your community?